JS code for onSubmit in forms

Share your custom code, plugins and themes.
Didou12
Name: Louis

JS code for onSubmit in forms

Post by Didou12 »

Hi everyone,

Here is some JS codes I use in forms with onSubmit (so when you send the form, for checking).
Maybe it can help you. If you think my code can be improve, let me know here :)
If you have ideas to share, tell me too.
If my English is poor, just let me know too :)

- Replace 123/456/789 for your field ID.
- JS in this box (onSubmit) is loaded when you hit the submit button form, so it's for checking before send to the database.
- To check during editing/adding of the form, or at the init/loading form, please check my other topic here : viewtopic.php?t=4495
- Remember JS can be access with source of the page, so don't use confidential or privacy datas
- alert(''); is for displaying an alert
- .prop('disabled',false); is for re-enabling the submit button after the checking (to able to re-send the form)
- return false; is for prevent the submission

• Regex for a text field (because can't be used with Inputmask field)

Code: Select all

let reg = /^INSERT_YOUR_REGEX_HERE$/gi; //you can check this website for help https://regexr.com/
if(!reg.test($('#fields_123').val()))
{
  alert('Error: The field doesn\'t match the format.');
  $('.btn-primary-modal-action').prop('disabled',false);
  return false;
}
  • To compare numeric values
Note: I recommend to use "parseInt" (for number without point decimal) or "parseFloat" to convert string characters into number with point decimal and compare it, because comparing two strings is not efficient

if(parseFloat($('#fields_123').val()) < parseFloat($('#fields_456').val())) //you can use "<=", ">=", "==", "<", ">"
{
  alert('Error: field 123 is lower than field_456.');
  $('.btn-primary-modal-action').prop('disabled',false);
  return false;  
}
  • To obtain a good rounded value for a calculation (because sometimes the value can cause bugs)

var calculation = $('#fields_123').val()*$('#fields_456').val(); //simple fields_123*fields_456 calculation
$('#fields_789').val(Math.round((calculation + Number.EPSILON) * 100) / 100); //get a rounded value and replace the value in the field_789 with it
  • To apply a value from a field to another field
Note : I use that to get the value from a ajax field (field_456) and use this value in a input text field (field_123), because search can't be perform on a ajax field in the listing, so I get the value with a PHP code in a ajax field, then I put this code in a text field

$('#fields_123').val($('#fields_456').val());
  • To check if authorization is ok
Note: I use an ajax field (field_123) to perfom live verification with SQL query and php code, so I return a value for this ajax field or 0 if authorization is not ok.

var auto = parseInt($('#fields_123').val()); //get an integer number
if (!auto) //check if auto is falsy (0, empty, NaN (not a number, return by parseInt if text), null, undefined, false); you can also use "if ( auto == 0)" to sure auto is 0; or "if (auto)" (truly values : true, not empty, not 0) or "if ( auto != 0)" for auto different of 0
{
  $('.btn-primary-modal-action').prop('disabled', false);
  alert('Error: Not authorized to send this form.');
  return false;
}
  • To check if a value from a dropdown list (or another kind of field) is reserved

var number = $('#fields_123').val();
var tableNumber = ['4567', '8910', '1112', '1314', '1516']; //list of ids of dropdown values
if (tableNumber.includes(number)) //if included in the table
{
  $('.btn-primary-modal-action').prop('disabled', false);
  alert('Error: this value is reserved.');
  return false;
}
  • To re-enable a field
Note : if you disabled a field (as checkbox, boolean) at the init of the form or during the eding, to prevent a user to use this checkbox (based on some conditions), you need to re-enable it before send the form, or you will get an issue for the storage

$('#fields_123').prop('disabled', false);

Hope, it will help you :)
Using Rukovoditel since 2022 --- v3.4 (with extension) in French on PHP 8.2
I keep the French translation up to date
I'm trying to help you (+10 years experience in html, css, php, sql, JS/jquery, python)