Barcode and QR Code as link to record

Put your suggestions here.
sgardner478
Name: Steve

Barcode and QR Code as link to record

Post by sgardner478 »

Suggestion:

Allow using a barcode and QR Code as a link to a specific record.

Reason:

The barcode / qr code could be printed on paper or sent via email so that a user could scan it and would be taken directly to the record in question. This would be helpful if you were tracking inventory and each product had it's own record. A scanner could open the record and would allow changing properties, such as quantity or price.

The QR code or barcode could be placed on the top of a printed report and the reader could scan the code, which would open the record so that info could be modified or info not in the printed report could be accessed.
rmcdonald
Investor
Investor
Name: Robert McDonald
Company Name: Unicloud

Re: Barcode and QR Code as link to record

Post by rmcdonald »

Hi this function already exists - you create the QR Code by building the URL dynamically and then use an export template to create the label
sgardner478

Post by sgardner478 »

Thanks for the information. Can you explain what you mean by dynamically? In the QR code field setup, I do not see a variable for the URL of the item. I suppose I can look at a URL for a specific item, copy everything in the URL and then replace the item's ID number with the variable of [ID]. The problem with this, is that it will be different for each different website URL. If I have multiple customers, I will have to customize this QR code field for each customer website.
p_hd
Name: Pedro Viana
Company Name: Clever Solutions, Lda.

Post by p_hd »

Hi

sample: https://xxxxxx.net/index.php?module=ite ... ath=99-[id]

Copy link from your install, [id] was added
sgardner478

Post by sgardner478 »

Thank you.
p_hd

Post by p_hd »

why not creat a field with domain?
sgardner478

Post by sgardner478 »

Unless it is dynamically generated, I would have to customize that field for each client. That would be that same amount of work as customizing the QR field for each client.
p_hd

Post by p_hd »

you can get it with php

$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']
sgardner478

Post by sgardner478 »

Thank you. I'll give that a try.
kbkhan
Name: Oliver

Post by kbkhan »

Sorry for reviving a months-old thread, but I was also looking for similar information and came across this post. I'm glad you found a solution using a dynamic URL to create QR codes as links to records, but I understand that the process can be confusing.
When we say "dynamically," we mean that the URL is generated on the fly based on your database's information. You could use a variable like [ID] to dynamically generate a URL that includes the ID number of the record you want to link to.
However, as you mentioned, this solution might not work if you have multiple customers with different websites. In that case, you might need to customize the QR code field for each customer.
One tool you might find helpful is Smart Engines OCR, which can help you recognize text and QR codes in images. It could be useful if you need to scan QR codes generated by your customers and link them to records in your database.